Reviewed in Congratulations on your new Android phone!
If you're a bit more tech-savvy chances are you're going to want a file explorer on your phone. I use Cabinet, but I don't think most people would like Cabinet, so in lieu of certain suspicions surround ES explorer I recommend this one.
Reviewed in Android App Report
Having more than one file manager seems redundant for the most part. Even if they are great you really only need one. I've been using ES File Manager for a while and I have no complaint. But the ability to split screen within this app caught my eye. Also still testing this and I'll post the actual review later as a head to head against ES file manager.
*** FX PLUS IS ON SALE FOR $1.99: A popular "free" competitor to FX just added lockscreen adware to their app. So enjoy a "buck off" the regular price of FX Plus to tell that competitor the same. FX--free or paid--has no ads/adware/bundled garbage. *** FX File Explorer 5 features a Material Design UI and new ways to transfer your files between devices and computers:
* New "FX Connect" transfers files from phone-to-phone with Wi-Fi Direct. Supports NFC to connect two phones by physically touching their backs together. (requires FX+)
* New "Web Access" enables transfer and management of files and media from your computer's web browser. You can drag-and-drop entire folders to your phone from your computer, or stream your phone's music playlists to your computer over Wi-Fi. (requires FX+)
FX is a file explorer built to make working with files and media on your phone or tablet as easy as it is on your computer:
* Productivity-oriented "Home Screen": Directly access your important folders, media, and cloud storage
* Multiple window support, with dual-view mode to see two windows at once
* "Usage View" mode shows the total size and content makeup of every folder, as you browse and manage files
* Support for most file archive formats
FX protects your privacy:
* No advertisements
* No tracking of user activity: FX does not ever "phone home"
* Built by NextApp, Inc., a US corporation founded in 2002; all proprietary code was developed in-house
The optional FX+ Add-On module enables more functionality:
* Access networked computers, including FTP, SSH FTP, WebDAV, and Windows Networking (SMB)
* Connect to cloud storage including Google Drive, Dropbox, SugarSync, Box, SkyDrive, and OwnCloud
* Manage installed applications, with support for browsing applications based on their required permissions
* Create and explore inside AES-256/AES-128 encrypted zip files
* Browse audio content by artist/album/playlist; manage and organize playlists
* Directly browse photo and video folders
* Encrypted password keyring (use one password to access network and cloud locations)
FX includes a number of built-in editing/viewing applets:
* Text Editor (with undo/redo history, cut/paste, search, and pinch-to-zoom)
* Binary (Hex) Viewer
* Image Viewer
* Media Player and pop-up Audio Player
* Zip, Tar, GZip, Bzip2, 7zip archive creators and extractors
* RAR file extractor
* Shell Script Executor