Reviewed in AppSalute
This has improved a lot over the last year or so. It has a decent looking modern UI, with just about all the functions you'd expect from it. There are functions on the desktop version, like setting up a caller ID, that can't be done though the app, so you'll still need to use a desktop version if you want to set up advanced stuff on your account. Call quality is generally very reliable, and they seem to have fixed the way it works in the background now (ie. it's still awkward to fully sign out, but it's not going to use up shed loads of ram and battery even if you don't log out properly).
Say “hello” to friends and family with an instant message, voice or video call on Skype for free. Join the millions of people using Skype today to stay in touch with the people who matter most. There’s so much you can do, right from the palm of your hand.
• Find all your friends and family in an instant - With over 250 million people using Skype, you’re bound to bump into someone you know.
• Talk with your fingers - No matter where you are, your friends are always at your fingertips with free instant messaging.
• Call your world from Skype - Talk to your heart’s content with free voice and video calls to all your friends and family on Skype.
• Low cost calls to mobiles and landlines too - Keep in touch, even if they’re not on Skype, with low cost calls and SMS to mobiles and landlines on the other side of town or the world.
• Share your favourite snaps - Got a favourite photo to share? Send it over Skype to friends and family and you won’t have to worry about email size limits or expensive MMS charges.
• Chat with anyone, anywhere - Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs, and even TVs. Whatever device your friends or family use, Skype just works. Simple.
• Video messaging – Record life’s everyday moments and share them with the people who matter most, with free and unlimited video messaging over Skype. * Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.