Reviewed in Things to Do, Places to Go…
Conceptually cool and functionally rudimentary, it's an off-grid chatroom app with two sections: A topic-less public chatroom for "Everyone", which is as messy and annoying as you might imagine; and a somewhat more private chatroom to connect with other "Nearby" users, using Wi-Fi Direct & Bluetooth to connect with people's devices within a few meters of you. I haven't had the opportunity yet to try the "Nearby" mode in a public place. I just hope the app catches on enough for people to be able to ignore the "Everyone" mode.
FireChat introduces a new way to chat: "off-the-grid".
Now you can chat with people around you – even if there is no Internet connection or mobile phone coverage. Whether you’re on the beach or in the subway, at a big game or a trade show, camping in the wild or at a concert, or even travelling abroad, simply fire up the app with a friend or two and find out who else is there.
FireChat enables a new type of communication: “firechats”. These live and anonymous discussion groups can gather as many as 10,000 people simultaneously.
You can create your own firechats about anything that interests you - whether it's the NY Yankees, Game of Thrones, League of Legends or Italian food.
Get FireChat and start bringing people together.
We’re Open Garden. Welcome to a new era of open communications.
Please meet us on Twitter @OpenGarden and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OpenGarden.
Please help us improve FireChat and get support: http://forum.opengarden.com
• Instantly chat with anyone around you,
• Works even without any Internet connection or mobile phone coverage ,
• Use the "Nearby" mode for off-the-grid communications, up to 200 feet of your location,
• Multihop capabilities extend the range of peer-to-peer communications,
• See what people are talking about all over the country in the “Everyone” mode,
• Create your own firechats for live and anonymous discussions,
• Easy: no Facebook or email login, no password to remember,
• No significant impact on battery consumption,
Nearby could work faster and use less power with Bluetooth LE! Please let the Android developers know you want it by starring this issue: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=59693