Reviewed in Essential Apps
P.S: Before installing please note the app needs a beta code after installation. You can request for code within the app. I got my code in 6+ hours. The app is a digital assistant that is the closest one to match Siri.It'll do majority of task you'll ask it to do. Cannot give an in depth review since I got to spend only 15-20 min trying to understand the app. Will provide an update later on.
Reviewed in Android app of the day
App of the day Hound is the personal assistant app from SoundHound that’s been in beta since its initial announcement last year. It has come out of beta and is now available to everyone without an invite. This personal assistant features a quirky side that likes to tell jokes and play games and you can also use one of the many voice commands to do things like get an Uber driver, check out weather, check reviews of a restaurant, and many, many more. It’s a good third party personal assistant and worth a shot.
Hound is the best way to search using your voice. • Lightning fast responses
• Speak naturally, no need to speak in keywords
• Follow-up to filter, sort, or add more information to get specific
Experience it hands-free by saying, "OK Hound…”
The fastest and easiest way to get the information, entertainment, and communication services you want, Hound is built for your busy life, allowing you to get what you need and move on.
• Enjoy full song and video playback, listen to a SoundHound curated playlist:
- “OK Hound… play the top songs around world.”
- “OK Hound...what’s that song?”
• Get hourly news from NPR:
- “OK Hound… tell me the latest news from NPR.”
• Make phone calls and send text messages - hands-free:
- “OK Hound… text Mike ‘I’ll be there in five minutes’.”
• Speak what you’re looking for instead of typing:
- “OK Hound...where’s my polling place?”
• Search for general knowledge by asking for it:
- “OK Hound...show me list of holidays by country.”
Weather + Temperature
• Get quick weather information for today or sometime in the future:
- “OK Hound… what’s the weather going to be like tomorrow at 6pm?
- “How about in Hawaii during August?”
Local Search + Yelp Restaurants
• Ask for restaurants, coffee shops, stores, and be as specific as you’d like, even excluding places you don’t want:
- “Show Restaurants within 10 miles except for Chinese”
Navigation (GPS) + Directions
• Ask for a destination and navigate there seamlessly:
- “Show me directions to the nearest Starbucks”
• Find movie and theatre schedules:
- "OK Hound… what movies are playing near me around 7pm?"
- "What are the top action movies in theaters right now?"
- "What movies are playing in IMAX?"
• Get fare estimates, journey time, speak your destination and book, all hands-free:
- "OK Hound… how much is an Uber to the airport?"
- "Get an Uber to the nearest movie theater"
Hotel Search + Expedia booking
• Be specific in finding the perfect hotel for your trip:
- “Show hotels in Seattle that are pet-friendly, have a gym, and cost less than $275”
• Easily make quick calculations through voice commands”
- “What is the square root of 16 minus the square root of 9?”
- "Split a $96 bill two ways with a 15% tip"
Alarm and Timer
• Set multiple alarms and timers at once
- "Set an alarm for 6am and 7am every weekday"
- "Set a timer to take out the chicken in 40 minutes"
And more: Video search, News search, Photo & Image search, Stock Prices, Flight status, Date and Time, Alarm and Timer, Mortgage Calculator, Unit conversion, Word and phrase translation, Wikipedia, Play interactive games… and more coming soon!
Partners include: Accuweather, Bing Search, Expedia, Uber, Yelp & more
***** Praise for Hound *****
“Hound takes voice search to the next level.” - Wall Street Journal
“SoundHound Inc. just developed a crazy-powerful personal assistant.” - WIRED
“SoundHound Inc.’s new voice search app makes [others] look slow.” - The Verge
End User Agreement