Reviewed in Point and click adventures
Detective work isn't known for its shallow learning curve. Or for being the kind of thing you can do while standing in line at the post office. With Noir Syndrome, however, solving crimes has become quite a bit more casual. This pick up and play adventure game gives you randomly generated murder mysteries to solve, all you have to do is gather the clues and make the arrest! Oh, and pick a few locks, shoot a few baddies, and have a few snacks. Detectives gotta eat too, you know. Noir Syndrome switches between an overworld map and small sidescrolling sections where you'll actually walk through the locations and interact with the world. Speak to NPCs to bolster your list of suspects, head back to the map and check out any new murders that may have occurred. You only have two weeks to solve the crime, and each time you enter a building it ticks off one day. When you've pieced together enough information, simply head into your notebook, mentally assemble the clues, then make the arrest. The crimes in Noir Syndrome aren't all that difficult to solve, but they require just enough gumshoeing to give you that satisfied "I've been out sleuthing
Reviewed in 5 Star Games
Noir Syndrome is a unique murder-mystery game that's based around procedurally generated content - and thus a game with infinite replayability. Each new game will introduce entirely new clues, evidence, suspects, and killer which means each game is wholly new and unique. It's an interesting concept that works very very well! Oh, and the awesome pixel art and jazzy soundtrack really pull the gamer into this fantastic game world. I highly recommend checking out Noir Syndrome!
Reviewed in Better Android Games Suggestions
Its tagline of "procedural generation" is simply a tagline and hook--nothing more. Though I enjoy the soundtrack, games are meant to be played over and over, not the music. A boon for those who like a simple logic puzzle with a little oomph toward its presentation. Is 2.99 worth this much? Could be worse. C+
Noir Syndrome is a procedurally generated Detective Murder-Mystery with a new story every time! Featuring slick pixel art animations and a jazzy soundtrack, the player is thrown right in to a highly stylized vision of film noir. Visit locations, interrogate suspects, search for clues, and eventually solve the case before the killer escapes - or you wind up dead yourself. Features:
- Procedural generation: Murder mystery scenarios with a new culprit and clues each time, every play-through is unique.
- Permanent choices: NPCs, interactions, death, and a slew of other features will all persist until a new game is started. Every action counts!
- Notebook: Collect vital clues in the detective's notebook to help narrow down suspects and solve the case.
- Investigation: Interact with and examine numerous objects and characters in a number of environments in the search for more information on the killer.
- Countdown: Given a set number of days to solve the mystery, each area visited will decrement the time left, adding to the urgency of every case.
- Freedom of choice: Attempt to solve the case, or live out your remaining time doing as you please - be it fighting the law, going after gang members, or just seeing the city.
- Gunplay: Combat is generally to be avoided as a single bullet will take down the player. However, when necessary, the revolver is always available for use.
- Badges: Complete a variety of challenges to earn unique badges which directly influence future playthroughs.
- Statistics and Scores: Statistics and high scores for a wide variety of topics will persist through every game.