Reviewed in Games with Depth
Now this is the level i want when it comes to mobile games. The Banner Saga is definitely my game of the year 2014, all plattforms. It is hauntingly beautiful, has an amazingly interesting world loosly based on a fantasy version of norse mythology. The world is really bleak, the sun has stopped moving in the sky, the gods are dead and now an invasion of Dredge, a race of stonelike giants threathen all. You shift between several main characters in the story and the choices you make during your playthrough have real consequenses. This is a game that isnt afraid to kill of your best fighter in a random encounter, loosing him forever. The game consists of traveling and combat. When traveling you need to make sure you have supplies for all your members, and you will have random encounters popping up all while dragging your caravan through a beutiful landscape. When the games goes to combat it really shines for me. the combat is turnbased and characters have two main "resources" Strength and armor. If an attacking characters strength is lower than the defenders armor, the blow might miss or do very little damage. what makes it really interesting is that Strenght also is your health, so when you have taken a few punches, you cant hit back so hard any more. This can make combat unforgiving and you really must plan and strategize to be successful. A damaged character isnt all useless, He/she can still damage the armor of others and use their abilities to help others in the party. The third resource is Renown, you get renown for killing enemies and making good choices throughout the game. A charcter needs a certain amount of kills and a certain amount of renown to level up, but renown is also the only currency you can buy supplies and items for. You will certainly end up in a situation where you stare at a great item being sold by a town vendor wondering if you should risk buying it knowing you will leave with only a few days worth of supplies. All in all, an amazing game where choices matter, good lore great soundtrack and beautiful animation. Oh and the sequel is planed for release now in 2015. Get this now!
Embark on your own epic journey in Banner Saga, the critically acclaimed tactical RPG where your strategic choices directly affect your personal story and the world around you. Leave your home and strike out on a desperate journey to save your people. Lead your caravan across stunning environments and into war with enemy clans and vicious Drudge soldiers. Build relationships and make choices that will shape the future of your clan as you scramble to survive in this beautiful, bleak world.
Banner Saga Features:
- A unique fantasy realm inspired by Norse mythology – explore a grim world shaped by the legends of the Vikings. Uncover ancient lore and battle tooth and nail to carve out a new bastion in a world abandoned by the gods.
- Beautiful 2D rotoscope animation - immerse yourself in beautifully hand drawn combat sequences and animations, accompanied by an evocative score from Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory.
- Real choices with real consequences – every decision you make on the trail, in conversation and during combat has a meaningful effect on the outcome as your unique story unfolds.
- Over 25 playable characters with unique personalities – form relationships in and out of combat with a variety of characters from 7 different classes, each with unique abilities and upgrade options to fit your play style.
- Strategic combat with permanent repercussions – choose your warriors, form your strategy and strike. Adapt to a dynamic battlefield where your tactics determine who lives and who dies. Victory, defeat and even the permanent loss of a character depends on the choices you make.
- Winner of the Geekie Award for best Indie Video Game, 2014, Independent Games Festival Finalist for Excellence in Visual Art and Honorable mentions for Design and Audio.
Only your choices can guide your caravan through the harsh winter, past mystical enemies and brutal Viking clans. When the trail is uncertain, can you take the lead?
Download Banner Saga and begin your journey today.